Sunday, October 10, 2010

Snickerdoodles !!

This recipe comes from the Joy of Baking and was found by my lovely fellow blogger, Nicolee.  The recipe is great as is but I like to use powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar, I think it makes the texture of the cookies softer.  Either type of sugar you use the cookie will turn out great! My friends and I love making these during the holidays and packaging them up to give to our friends and family.  I made these today for my nephew Max, he came over to celebrate my mom's b-day and was really disappointed I didn't have cookies for him.  His pouting made me feel so guilty I decided to make him snickerdoodles since they are super easy and quick to make! The ingredients are also something I always have around and the cookies are delicious :)


Snickerdoodles! I love saying that, it makes me feel like a kid!

COOKIE INGREDIENTS:
2 3/4 cups (360 grams) all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated white sugar (or powdered sugar)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

COATING INGREDIENTS:
1/3 cup (66 grams) granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 deg F (190 deg C) and make sure the rack is in the center of the oven.
  2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. 
  3. In another bowl beat the butter and sugar until smooth.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat until you have a smooth dough. If the dough is soft, cover and refrigerate until firm enough to roll into balls (one to two hours).
  4. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  **When baking cookies I love using parchment paper, it prevents from the cookies from sticking to the baking sheet and over cooking at the bottom.
  5. Shape the dough into 1 inch (2.5 cm) round balls.
  6. In a medium shallow bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
  7. Roll the balls of dough in the cinnamon sugar and place on the cookie sheet, spacing about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Then, using the bottom of a glass or your fingers, gently flatten each cookie to about 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) thick.
  8. Bake the cookies for about 8 - 10 minutes, or until they are light golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.  **The cookies take exactly 8 mins to cook in my oven so just watch them carefully the first time so you don't over cook them and they become hard. 
  9. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container, at room temp, for about 10 - 14 days.
 PICS OF PROCESS:

Coating + Cookie Dough


Rolling the dough balls in cinnamon sugar mixture.
Flattening out the cookies with my fingers!
Cooling on the rack, ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment