Friday, January 18, 2013

Five Things Friday

This weekend is a 3-day weekend at work for us, for MLK Jr. Day on Monday. There has been stuff all over campus about things to celebrate MLK Jr. Day and other cultural celebration activities. So today's FTF is inspired by cultures - your culture, that is!
1. I (or my parents/ancestors) are from China, although my parents lived most of their lives in Taiwan after leaving China as kids shortly after WWII.

2. Do you speak the language(s) of the above country/countries? I can understand some Mandarin, speak it very poorly, and read/write a little bit.

3. Sometimes people say that I look Japanese or Korean...for some reason people I always think I am Japanese haha!

4. Do you celebrate any holidays from your/your family's country/countries of origin? We don't really celebrate any in a strict sense, although when we were kids my parents used to cook noodles and give us red envelopes on Chinese New Year. We also sometimes eat zhongzi's (sticky rice things wrapped in bamboo leaves) around this one Chinese holiday where everyone eat those things, and moon cakes around the Mid-Autumn Festival time.

5. My favorite foods that come from these place(s) are any sort of dim sum, Beijing roast duck, and weird Chinese dishes that you would not find in most restaurants here but are common in Taiwan and China, such as fish heads, pigs' feet and chicken feet! They are delicious, I swear! OK,..maybe not if you aren't used to them, haha!

**My favorite thing from around the web this week is this DIY embellished military jacket idea - I like the mixed jewels and how it doesn't look overly bling-y!

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny people think you look Japanese, I never think that you do probably because I know that you are not! I didn't know your parents were originally from China, I thought they were born and bread in Taiwan! You must celebrate all Chinese holidays! I love dim sum too and the DIY coat embellishment it's like not too much bling!

    ReplyDelete