Friday, August 31, 2012

Five Things Friday

Fun fact: Did you know Oregon was the FIRST, yes the FIRST, state to make Labor Day a holiday? Didn't think Oregon was that cool, did ya? Anyway, in honor of Labor Day I decided to make today's Five Things Friday, work themed!


1.  My day job is Electrical & Control Systems Engineer.  I hate being asked this question by people, so I am sorry for asking it if you don't like answering it but it was a must!!  It's not that I'm shy about what I do but it's the questions and comments that follow it that are kind of awkward, I get things like "I've never met a female electrical engineer before", "you must be a really smart girl to have studied that", "what does an electrical engineer do?", "do you design circuits?", "do you work with computers?", etc... the list of random questions goes on and on.  I don't mind answering them but upon describing what I do I get a lot of really blank stares and nods which just makes things awkward.

2.  What I love most about my job is I get to see and be a part of how things are made.  Just this week I got to see how particleboard was made, being around that huge machinery getting to see how everyday things are made is a pretty cool experience.  Earlier this year I was able to see and be a part of how paper and toilet paper was made.  It's things that you would only see on TV and being able to contribute even if it is for something small is really neat.

3.  My dream job would be a full time crafter!! If I could craft all day long I would!

4.  When I was little I always wanted to be an astronaut!  I always thought it would be cool to go up in space.

5.  A career I admire but would never be able to do is be a doctor.  I would be so afraid of misdiagnosing people and I don't know if I could be so patient with people either.

**My favorite thing from around the web this week is this bunny chair.  Yes a BUNNY chair! Wouldn't it be cool for your office??

Have a great long weekend everyone!!
 
-DD

1 comment:

  1. I did not know Oregon was the first state to do that! Omg I hate it when people make weird comments or are all asky about engineering/work. It's so cool that you get to see how those things are made. I always love hearing about it lol! Gosh I wish we could just craft for fun and get paid for it haha! I don't know how doctors even exist - it seems like such a hard job.

    Omg the bunny chair is sooo adorable haha!!

    ReplyDelete